Sunday, July 22, 2012

Munich: A day all about clothes

After the great shopping spree of Oxford Street, London, we were literally busting to spend our euros and shop these wondrous European stores.

With Croatia sailing only a few days away, this cold only mean one thing. Bikinis.

And shorts, and dresses, and singlets.

I went into H&M with a rough shopping list:

-        Black shorts

-        Beach bag

-        White bikini top

-        Black bikini top

-        Coloured bikini

But H&M just had so much stock; so many bathers in different colours and styles, and they were so cheap!


Hi mum, I went shopping, again!

With the change room limit at six items per customer, I literally visited the change rooms four times in the first H&M, and twice in the next.

Similar to London, Munich had several H&M stores in close proximity to each other – handy, but also dangerous.

So what did we end up with? I came out with my black shorts, a beach bag, and enough bikinis for every day of the week!


My purchases


Livi's purchases


Ash’s purchases

With Croatia sailing as well as the increasingly warmer weather in mind, I wanted some new summer threads. After two and a half months of the same clothes, I hated everything in my backpack!

I got all of my purchases for around $150 AUD – maybe $180 after our stop at the second H&M…


Let's take our new clothes out to lunch

Having bought these exciting new clothes, we were conscious that the zips on our bags were threatening to burst, and we could barely lift our ridiculously heavy packs.

It was time to send shit home.

It was a sign; our hostel was conveniently located opposite a post office. We walked straight in, picked up the largest size international box we could find, and began to fill it.

Blonde moment: Instead of purchasing the boxes, taking them back to the hostel, filling them and bringing them back to the post office, we walked into the building with plastic bags full of clothes and shoes and sleeping bags, and packed them on the store floor.

Definitely an oversight. 

But it meant my backpack was now 7-10kg lighter, having sent home most of my winter clothing and items I wasn’t using. I sent home:

-        My bulky Zara knit jumper

-        Tracksuit pants

-        3 long-sleeve tops

-        4 t-shirts

-        My sleeping bag, which I was yet to use

-        Winter scarves

-        Travel clothesline I hadn’t used

-        Small souvenirs too heavy to carry around

We each sent a box home, thinking the cardboard was going to explode on the trip back to Australia. Ash’s package definitely struggled – we needed extra packing tape to close it up!

Knowing we would need to send our winter clothes home at some stage we had emailed around to shipping companies for quotes to send 10-15kg to Australia. These all came back quite pricey, and from what we had heard from friends and family who had travelled in the past, we were going to be looking at a hefty fee.

And now for the price. I actually thought I would be paying 180-200 to send my package home. To my surprise, it only cost 42 to send 7-10kg back to Australia, plus the cost of the box (around 5). Can I get a hallelujah!

We sent our stuff home through DHL, and were promised our packages would arrive home in the short time of two weeks.

Sure enough, they did. And I wake up to a picture of my sisters with my opened package, wearing all my new clothes.


Sneaky buggers

It’s an offence to open someone else’s mail, right?!

Postman Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment