Monday, July 9, 2012

Cesky Krumlov: Haven’t heard of it? Neither had I

When we were planning our trip from Australia both Ash and Liv had heard from friends that we should stop off in the hidden gem, Cesky Krumlov. I had never even heard of the place.

But as we travelled the Busabout loops, more and more people encouraged us to go there and ensured that we would love it.

And they weren’t wrong.

Cesky is a small town in the Czech Republic, and really is a hidden gem. It would have only taken us 15 minutes to walk from one side of the main town to the other, but it was so lovely and peaceful after some time in the bigger cities.  The few tourists who were there seemed to respect this chilled atmosphere and just keep to themselves.














I can see your butt

There is a castle with expansive gardens and excellent views of the city, there is a pretty river running through the city with restaurants overlooking the water, and there is the best crepe restaurant ever invented.

Seriously. We ate there twice.

A nice savoury crepe to begin with – something like cheese, tomato and spinach – followed by a sweet dessert crepe of raspberries and sugar. Divine.


Perfection


And now for dessert! Pour a little sugar on me

It also has the worst gingerbread shop ever. We’re talking teeth-shattering gingerbread. Gingerbread so hard that if you threw it on the ground and beat it with a hammer it would not break, let alone with our precious teeth. It went straight in the bin. Although it did have a redeeming gingerbread cake; always, always choose the soft gingerbread!

After a few big days in Prague we were looking forward to taking some time out in Cesky to recharge the batteries, and it was perfect for this.

Although it turns out our hostel was haunted. Again. 

Great, another bloody haunted hostel.

Keen to have a few restful nights, the three of us actively avoided hearing the story of the haunting. But we couldn’t help overhearing and people couldn’t keep their mouths shut.

From what I heard, it has something to do with a Monk who hung himself from one of the rafters on the top floor of the building.

We were staying on the top floor.

And I just happened to pick the bed directly below that particular rafter. Unlucky pal.


The scene of the crime

Then I overhear that there have been numerous sightings of the ghost, sitting on the beams above the beds, staring down at the guests.

Holy shit, ok I’m not sleeping tonight.

I knew not to look up at the rafters, but I just couldn’t help myself. I knew that the banging of doors and bouncing of clotheslines above our beds was just our friend Glynn messing with our heads.

But I couldn’t help scaring myself into insomnia.

Who you gonna call?

By the end of our stay we were all safe and hadn’t had any ghost sightings. However another fella who came in on the Busabout coach with us apparently lay awake in bed all night busting to use the bathroom, but was too scared to get out of bed.

So we weren’t the only scardy cats.

This hostel also happened to be one of the best we had stayed in. Hostel 99 gave us our first single beds since London, and our first real shower towels! If you have travelled with a microfiber towel you will share in my jubilation. Microfiber towels are the devil!


So now I was taking pics just hoping the ghost would appear in one of them


Sign should read: Beware, ghosts

At some point during our stay the three of us just sat, wrapped up in our towels, just because we could. This is one of the backpacking luxuries, so it’s a real treat when we get a real towel.

I’m ditching my microfiber towel the first chance I get!

But I digress, Hostel 99 was excellent and Cesky absolutely wonderful. It is definitely worth checking out for a little break from the bigger party cities, and to recharge the batteries for the next stops. And don’t tell everyone about it like I am, it’s a secret!

Ghost whisperer,
Nikki

No comments:

Post a Comment