Saturday, May 5, 2012

Ireland: Last night we were in a scene from a horror movie

My mum always tells me that I have an overactive, vast, imagination. So no surprise I turned our day on an old fishing island into a scene from a horror movie.

A ferry took us over to Inis Mor, meaning, Big Island. Super creative the Irish were.

Part of the Aran Islands, we had the chance to hike, bike, or bus around the ancient Gaelic speaking land. As it was freezing and we had no waterproof clothing, we decided to take the bus.


Inis Mor

The whole place was like a scene from a horror movie. Imagine the heroine chased through the rocky fields, dark figures lurking in shadows by the water’s edge. The woman at the cafe serving up suspicious delicacies, and children of the extremely small population acting strangely, singing haunting nursery rhymes.

The deeper we went into the island, the deeper we went into planning our own Hollywood blockbuster. Watch this space, it will be huge.



Hook-man's gonna get ya


Nice houses, to get abducted

We hiked up a cliff, where there are no barriers or railings.  We were warned to be careful, as if a big gust of wind blows up we could be thrown from the cliff. Holy crap.


It's a long way down


Maybe if I lie here, the wind can't see me

Never have I ever, in my life, been afraid of heights. But by golly I was quaking in my Zara jeans.

I made it fairly close to the edge, wary that if the wind blew I could end up kissing more rocks than the Blarney Stone in Ireland.


I'm so scared


Don't push me 'cos I'm close to the edge, I'm trying not to lose my head

Continuing to plan our horror movie, we further explored the island. We saw green grass everywhere, stones, and less built up areas. We saw the water, lighthouse, and seals!


Crazy old man lives in the lighthouse


Man eating seals? Getting rid of the evidence

We also found an old lighthouse – probably haunted – and climbed some more rocks.


They'reee heeerrreeee


Evil giants?

In the graveyard, Livi’s camera picked up some supernatural activity. Ghosts for sure.


Paranormal activity

This horror movie is practically writing itself. If you see a movie set on Inis Mor, they totally stole our story. And I want my hat back.

Helllloooo Nikki, what’s your favourite scary movie?

No comments:

Post a Comment